Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mangia! Mangia!

 
Last night, Ros treated us all to a great dinner at an Italian place called the Macaroni Grill. Do they have these in other places? It seems like I've heard of it before.
 
Anyhoo, it was a neat place, and since we had a pretty good group of people, we were back in this little grotto-type room, with heavy curtains pulled back at the sides of the entrance. As we raised our glasses in a toast, mandolin music playing in the background, I told Ken, "Why do I feel like I'm gonna get whacked?" Ha ha! It was almost surreal!
 
The food was yummy (I had Veal Parmesan, Ken had Veal Marsala), and we all had a lot of fun talking and laughing. I got to meet Cousin Richard and his wife. Apparently his father is also named Richard, so the cousin at last night's dinner was often referred to as "Little Richard." Sadly, we weren't treated to a rendition of "Tutti Frutti." Maybe next time.
 
However, our server had quite a bit of talent herself, and after our meal, she sang "Happy Birthday" to Aunt Bea...opera-style. It was lovely, and brought a tear to my eye. America DOES have talent!
 
It was a great time, and THANK YOU, ROS!
 
Oh, and Cousin Murray is just the neatest, most lovable guy, who loves to laugh and talk. I like him very much. We're having a barbecue this evening, and he's coming back for that, so it should be another fun night.
 
I made a discovery last night. Ken ordered a sangria, and I thought I'd try that, too. For some reason, I've never had sangria! Well, that is some mighty tasty stuff, let me tell ya. I don't know how much wine it has in it, but it goes down quicker than Britney Spears on a first date.
 
Salute!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dove andate questa sera? ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your having a great time ! Great food, great company !

Alerts are down, in case your wondering where your readers are.
I knew to pop in here and check on you.
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

What a delightful evening! I think that Macaroni Grill may be a franchise, we have them here in North Carolina as well and it's always a good place to have a meal. The ones that I have frequented all have a few singing wait persons. Thanks for cracking me up as usual with references to tutti frutti and the naughty aside regarding Ms. Spears. Btw, I totally agree with your assessment of Sangria! --Sheria

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth.  Glad you guys are having such a good time.  We have  Macaroni Grill's here in Tennessee.  Not is my little town mind you, but near Nashville I've seen one.  Often thought about trying it but it's right next to a Red Lobster and I'm a fool for seafood.  LOL.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Hugs, Joyce


Anonymous said...

sounds like heaven maybe a romantic dinner for two latter ..
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

hi Beth; saw a comment you left in another journal that you were in California; so I peeked over to see where you were at; isn't that place (Macaroni Grill) delicious? I've seen one in Albuquerque one time before

enjoy your stay in our fine state (I'm a little bit south of where you are visiting); hope we don't have any earthquakes during your stay :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying everything.  Macaroni Grill is superb.
I know that Louisville and Lexington, Ky,  have them.  I have
dined at the L'ville one and it was wonderfull  (NOT mispelled).
Read my next entry to find out about my birthday bash.  Pat

Anonymous said...

There is a Macaroni Grill in Strongsville OH, that is in sw Cleveland area.  I like their food.

Claudia

Anonymous said...

That first question was rhetorical, right?
I've never had Sangria, either, and I guess if I ever do I'd better settle for just a few sips of someone else's!
Lori