Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Gettin' high-~-er education

 
I really don't think I'll ever understand the mentality that ridicules higher education, or education in general.
 
I get a kick out of the "you and yer fancy book-learnin'!" crowd. That seems a little short-sighted, mean-spirited, and ill-tempered (much like the ill-tempered sea bass in the first Austin Powers movie) to me, and goes back to what I wrote earlier today about self-sabotage. I suppose that if you want to be your own worst enemy and not bother learning about new things, that's your prerogative, but...why? I just don't get it.
 
I don't disparage those who weren't able to further their education--or even finish it. Someone very near and dear in my family was unable to finish high school due to family circumstances. But the important thing is that they did not stop learning, and reading, and trying to gain knowledge on various subjects and topics. However, I don't understand why someone would deride us for having our degrees. Gee...sorry I got a diploma. My bad.
 
I would think that we would all want to promote education and learning, whether for ourselves or for our children. It doesn't mean that we have to go back to school and take classes, but don't turn off your brain because you aren't in school! Ridiculing those who have furthered their education--there's that fancy book-learnin' again--is just plain silly and I don't get the purpose of it. Envy? Ill will? Just plain hatred? What is the point?
 
We're in dire straits, not just in our country, but in the world. We would be much better off if we would encourage education and promote learning, rather than approaching such efforts with derision and contempt, and work towards making higher education affordable and available to all.
 
My pal Lori over at Dusty Pages has another journal called I Stand Corrected, and it's a shared one. I appreciate her efforts in encouraging good writing--it's so frustrating to see a headline in the newspaper that is poorly written! I know that email and journal-writing is much more relaxed than formal writing, but if you're thinking about formal writing, you might find some good tips there. The same goes for business writing--I've read letters and memos from management that made me think, "What? This is horrible!"
 
Sometimes I wonder if this even matters anymore. Does it? Or are people like me and Lori nothing more than dinosaurs?
 
And be careful how you answer that!!
 
 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only a fool dispise learning. With a good education, the world is at your feet. If only more people understood this.
Laini

Anonymous said...

I have a high school diploma (1962) but no other higher degree.  I've never stopped learning though.  For one thing I've taken so many computer classes that I should have a degree, but not...for another I love my Bible Study and continue with classes in that when I can.  However, I must say that most of my learning has come from life--it never ceases to amaze me.  I learn something new everyday of my life.  Education is valuable and we can never have enough.
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha!  Yes, be VERY careful how you answer that!!  This was a very good entry.  My mother, who is 84 years old, went through the 8th grade, and that was it.  My father actually had a year of high school, thanks to the CCCs.  But they never stopped learning.  They read and read and read.  And they asked questions and let people teach them new things too.  And they raised seven fairly intelligent kids, if I do say so myself!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I did not finish high school but went on to get my GED. Then attempted to return to school at a community college only to have more family problems again. But I still learn something new every day. It might be from a book or a life lesson, but my daughter teaches me to be a better person everyday. I still want to go back to school and learn many things. Most importantly I miss talking to other writers and getting feedback. Being inspired by teachers and other students. Right now I'm raising our daughter while my wife works and goes to classes. There are too many things going on and to much to explain why I'm not working. But what I do know is I miss the paychecks and simply working. I do enjoy the time spent with our daughter MJ  and all the little things we do. Believe it or not years ago, I read a book called The Hot Zone and wanted to do that for a profession. I thought it would be exciting and worthwhile to deal with diseases and maybe discover a cure for one. In my opinion, it is never to late to go back to school. But until then I will continue learning by any means necessary. The sooner the better, even if it is online courses. After all I'm only thirty years old and have the desire to go back to school. Right now I am a student in life, love, and spirituality. May Peace be with you and your family.

Blessed Be.

Wes



Anonymous said...

I think that attitude comes from a minority of those that went to college and treat those who haven't, as lesser beings.  I didn't finish high school and yet because I HAVE chosen to continue my education on my own, I feel as if I am smarter than if I HAD.  If I had finished school, I don't know that I'd feel this overwhelming desire to know about those things that people of a higher education were taught about in high school and college.  I like being able to walk into just about any conversation and have something of my own to add.  I don't understand why some people chose to close their minds to learning anything new.  My brain gets really bored if I go a while without trying to push it's limits and it's hard for me to understand how anyone can stand to live their life going to their same jobs day in and day out, then come home and sit in front of a television show, never going past their comfort zones.  And yes, the mispelled words in headlines and bad grammar drive me insane.  I want to thump the guy that does the proof reading.  ;)

Anonymous said...

My Mother was very ill during my childhood & I missed a lot of high school, & by my senior year, I missed almost the entire year. I used to tell people I was sick, because I was too embarrassed(though now I cannot really remember why)to say I was caring for an ill Mother. I was fairly bright & was allowed to do lots of makeup work & take all final tests & they graduated me, but for some reason never listed me in the yearbook & at that time I am sure I did not even notice because of the things going on at home.

I live in the same town & STILL at 43 I have people approach me(several people, near "reunion" plannings)saying: You weren't in the yearbook, DID YOU GRADUATE?  What happened???
Oh, you should hear the tone.

I've also dated someone whose ex wife can hardly read. She was ridiculed & pointed out when she told that to the Mother of one of her Daughter's friends, who'd asked her to read something to the kids. She burst out crying & told her ex husband(later) she was so sorry she was so stupid & she was a humiliation to her children.

I believe you don't disparage anyone who was not able to further their education, but many do. It goes both ways & both (I believe) are built upon the personal insecurities of the person disparaging. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

My mother only went to the 6th grade. She definitely did NOT encourage education. When your getting almost straight A's in school and trying to make your mom proud it would of been nice to have her notice...In the end I did well in school for me, I was fighting to do my school work and spending more time than not in speech therapy. I should of been admitted to a school for the deaf, yet I can't disparage getting my education the way I did. It made me stand up for myself and not allow my deafness to hold me back. I had the ability to go on to college, surviving and making a living took precedence. Yet I don't discourage or look down on someone who does better themselves. As a matter of fact I was disappointed my daughter decided not to continue with her college education after a year.
These days how educated and knowledgable someone is, is pretty much their choice. Although I have to wonder who wouldn't want to continue learning in whatever format they may? (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for "I Stand Corrected"      D

Anonymous said...

i am a bit confused....
that is nothing new.

i wish NOW that i had cared enough about ME to further my education....i have a HS diploma. I had been accepted into a photojournalism class in a community college and did not take it because my boyfriend said i was too fucking stupid to do anything with it so i walked away.
i don't often revisit that failure much because i will sit and weep for hours. Sigh.
But no regrets!!
I urge EVERYONE that has to work to get some sort of training....whether it is technical, a college degree or a specialized course to further yourself in the job market.
XO