Friday, August 22, 2008

Thanks, we needed that!

 
"It's just a rainy day at Nutwood...it's the day I hung an innocent man...." [sung to the tune of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia]
 
Don't worry, I haven't hung anyone!
 
Val writes a second journal she calls "Joy in the Rain," with jokes and quotes that are both fun and inspirational. Today I am experiencing my own joy in the rain, as we're getting some much-needed precipitation!
 
I know this fascination with rain doesn't mean much to a lot of folks, but in an agricultural area, it means the world. Things were getting awfully dry, and we were almost 2½ inches below normal. We got a fairly steady rain for a while there, so this should help a lot.
 
One person who isn't quite so thrilled with it is Sheeba. For some reason, thunder really bothers him. For quite a while this morning, he was hiding behind the shower curtain, then he finally slunk off to the basement. He goes way in the back, where I guess the sound isn't as loud. Poor little guy, I always feel so bad for him, but there's nothing I can do. I just try to check on him once in a while and give him a little pat. He'll come slinking out when it lets up.
 
I was going to run out to the store today, but nothing is pressing, and I think I'll just stay home and enjoy the rainy day. I know I won't melt or anything, but nothing is urgent.
 
Speaking of rain, Dad told me yesterday that he heard that Daytona Beach got something like 20 inches of rain. Yikes! Since Daytona is just a few miles north of New Smyrna Beach (where our timeshare is located), I thought I'd better check into things. I sent the lady who sold us the timeshare, Lori, an email asking if everyone was okay, and I heard back from her this morning:
 
"We are lucky the storm went completely around us... no flooding no high winds no nothing...no damage at all."
 
Amazing! There's something about that area--I don't know if it's the current, geography, or what--but it seems to be fairly well-protected. Lori told us that's why they put Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral. They had some damage a few years ago, the year of Frances and Charlie (and one other major one), but all in all, they've been very fortunate. It's our home away from home, so we're glad all is well!
 
Remember I mentioned that it's been fun talking politics with my Mom? She called me a few minutes ago, and said, "Hi Honey! I was just wondering who you think is going to be Obama's running mate!" Ha ha! She tickles me to no end! Her and Dad were watching the news, and I guess there was a lot of speculation going on about it. She said they were saying that it could be Hillary. I said I'd be very surprised, and my gut tells me that it's going to be Joe Biden. We should be hearing something today. I'll probably get an email about it, and I told Mom I'd give her a call when I hear anything.
 
I'd like to go on record and say that I do not like the word "veepstakes," and I won't be using it. I'm not sure why that word bugs me, but it does!
 
Oh, and I almost forgot: Yes, Ziggy, opossums are marsupials!
 
 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like walking in the rain with the one you love...
Laini

Anonymous said...

... on the political tip ... I haven't a foggiest idea of who for either camp ... I am sure it won't be Obama - Clinton ...

... isn't something how weather can be different in one small area ..?  Hurricanes and the like blow around NASA, rarely causing great damage ...

... I do wonder why that the Fla and Tex site were chosen ...

Anonymous said...

We are expecting to get a lot of rain off of tropical storm Fay.  I hope it doesn't wash us away!!
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I love the photo!!!  Your deck looks lovely with the windchime & birdfeeder.  It looks like somewhere that I could sit back & relax.  I'm assume that Sheeba is a dog...what kind is it?  Poor little thing.....being scared

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I love to see a slow rain myself. Makes me very sleepy though. Poor Sheeba, I feel for animals who are afraid of thunder and loud noises. We need a lot of rain here in our area. No storms please. Helen

Anonymous said...

Pickles goes nuts if it's really loud booming thunder. Otherwise she is getting better about it, I think it's our patience and understanding with her that helps. I forgot about your timeshare in Fla. Glad to hear everything is safe and sound there. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

You named your cat Sheeba ---- as in Queen of --- yet you call it a him. Now how did that name come to be. Even I don't like thunder and lightening so I empathize with the critters. Tonight I found myself doing something I never do -- tuning in to CNN to find out the name of the running mate, but I see it won't come till tomorrow. Everyone assumes Biden and I have no idea if that is a good choice or a bad one, but I would like to see someone come in from left field, right out of the blue. Someone that nobody even predicts nor expects. When does the other one pick his VP candidate. Perhaps after he and his cronies have torn Obama's pick to shreds. So the opossum is a marsupial. That factoid was buried deep in my brain somewhere.

Anonymous said...

A lot of interesting information here.

You can put "veepstakes" in the same catagopry as "walkathon" in my opinion.   D

Anonymous said...

We don't get much rain here in AZ, but when we do, it is a welcome relief, except for the humidity that follows.  We're on the tail end of our summer monsoons, and we have quite a bit of rain.  The mountains are blanketed with a green down that is so beautiful.  I'll have to take a pic of it!  I love the rain, and especially to fall asleep to the soft pitter patter on the roof, and flashes of lightning!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

a friends daughter lives in Ft. Pierce and they got 22 inches of rain....where i am in Ohio has NO rain and all the grass is dying. SO glad to hear you got some rain too.
XO

Anonymous said...

We are desperate for rain!  Our hay is looking awfully sparse in the fields.  Today it is raining, remnants of Fay no less so it is hard rain....but it is about 30 miles West and we aren't due for anything.  :(
Lisa