Sunday, August 24, 2008

Soul Suckers

It's a quiet day in the neighborhood! Ken is doing some "work" work while we watch water polo. Looks like they aren't going to win the gold. Bummer. One of the bigwigs at Ken's job has a son on the team, so it's been fun watching them play for the gold. I don't think the team has anything to be upset about, though--what a great run, and they got the silver! 
 
This is for Amy: tonight we're having barbecued chicken and grilled zucchini and onions. I'll probably do some noodles or something, too. Come on by, there's plenty!
 
Have you ever had one of those soul-sucking, life- and light-stealing friends who wants nothing more than to out-do, out-play, out-everything you? I suppose "friend" is too strong a word, because they're really kind of creepy and unfun to be around. I call them psychic vampires, and come to find out, they even have a user's manual!
 
I think we've all had the misfortune of having to be around these people, whether at work or in our personal life. We used to have someone at the lab who, no matter the subject, had always done it first, had done it more often, and without question, had done it much, much better than you could ever dream of doing it! It actually became a bit of a joke, because no matter what any of us said, this person would counter immediately with their own tale of how they were completely and utterly fabulous.
 
It was irritating as hell, but also kind of sad. The impression that came through loud and clear was probably not the one they were intending. I have a feeling that in this type of person's desire to one-up everyone around them, they are attempting to hide their own deep-seated insecurities and perceived failings, or perhaps they simply want to usurp someone else's life, experiencing vicariously through them the life that they would rather be leading. This person at the lab often felt persecuted, and felt that everyone was out to get them, or "picking on" them. Either way, it's incredibly draining--thus the vampire aspect--and unpleasant to be around.
 
It eventually got so that we did our best to avoid engaging this person in conversation because it just wasn't worth the headache. Again, it's really kind of sad because this was a very nice person in many ways, and they had a lot to offer. But their habit of sucking the life out of others was just too much to deal with. For your viewing and listening pleasure, please enjoy a great song by Concrete Blonde. I maintain that Johnette Napolitano has one of the best and most powerful voices of all the rock chicks. (Annie Lennox and Ann Wilson are right up there.)
 

"Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)"

by Concrete Blonde

There's a crack in the mirror
and a bloodstain on the bed
There's a crack in the mirror
and a bloodstain on the bed
O you were a vampire and baby
I'm the walking dead
O you were a vampire and baby
I'm the walking dead

(chorus)
I got the ways and means
to New Orleans I'm going
down by the river
where it's warm and green
I'm gonna have drink, and walk around
I got a lot to think about oh yeah oh yeah

There's a rocking chair by the window
down the hall
I hear something there in the shadow
down the hall
O you were a vampire and now I am
nothing at all
O you were a vampire and now I am
nothing at all

(chorus)

They used to dance in the garden in the
middle of the night
Dancing out in the garden in the
middle of the night
O you were a vampire
and I may never see the light
O you were a vampire
and I may never see the light

(chorus)

Oh yeah 10x

 
 
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have family who are "vampires", and as with family, you're kinda stuck with them.  However, at parties, this is the person most of us avoid because everyone knows is MO.  He leads a sad lonely existence and you'd think he'd get it, and of course he doesn't.  Its easier to be a victim than to look inward and see for himself.  We watched the basketball game this morning...I thought it was live, and of course, it wasn't.  Glad I didn't read you first thing this morning or it would have been a spoiler!!  Hey, didn't those guys look genuinely happy!!  I don't think I've ever seen Kobe Bryant truly glowing like that!  The Star Spangled Banner chokes me up every single time!!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

Your dinner sounds wonderful.  Amy will be a lucky girl if she joins you.  
I've been blessed not to the the life stealing kind of acquaintance you spoke of, it is sad that some miss out on friendship because of it. Hope you enjoy your quiet day. 'On Ya '- ma

Anonymous said...

I have encountered people like that & yes we just try to stay away from them.  People like this grates on my nerves....

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I know that when I encounter a person like this, I just pull the plug.  Stop being in the same arena with them, stop interacting or responding to them, etc.  Within a short period of time, you truly feel better about your situation; the sun comes out, rainbows shine bright, puppies wag their tails, you get the idea :o)

Anonymous said...

grilled zucchini?!  I am SO there.  oooh...and some garlic bread!  Okay, I need to stop.  I'm salivating.  LOL

Psychic vampires.  I know them well.  They don't even have to speak to suck the life out of someone.....their mere prescence is enough.

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth, do I ever know what you mean! I've worked with people
like that, and woul do all I could to avoid them.  They just seem to
suck the very life blood right out of you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

My 'puter isn't letting me check out the video right now... I'll try again later.  Anyway, I used to have a roommate like that... UGH!!!  She was a great roommate in every other way... just more trouble than it was worth to converse with her, sometimes!!!  LOL!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

I think one of the persons I used to know actually WROTE that book!
Seriously I have worked with people like that, and you described them perfectly -- soul suckers!  You feel sorry for them, but you really can't afford to be around them for very long, because you can feel yourself shriveling up and drying out as they are talking.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I think most of us have known a person like that in our lives. When you said it became a bit of a joke it reminded me of one the characters on Saturday Night Live. She is called Penalope and is played played by Kriste Wiig. It is one of the funniest skits on the show. Penalope does what the person in your lab did, no matter the story she one ups those around her. But bare in mind Penalope exaggerates her stories to their fullest. If you used to watch the show and no longer feel it is as funny as the past, your right. Still, please give this skit a look see.

Thanks for the laugh,

Wes

Anonymous said...

I actually LIKE that song! You always entertain me with songs i have never heard of. I learned YOUNG to shut up and listen and try not to embarress myself by being a knowitall.....i had that entry the other day where i talked about that 25 yr old i work with who i went off the deep end on. She is one of those loud, dumb, obnoxious people and she will ALWAYS interject herself into EVERY conversation whether she has a clue about what a person is talking about or not. UGH!! So, i can relate to what you say.
i love BBQ chicken. If you make a cookbook, i will buy a few copies.
XO

Anonymous said...

Totally get what you're saying here. There's always a "know-it-all"........

My hubby has one at work, and he'll come in and talk about this guy....It's gotten to the point, where, last night as he was retelling another, ONE-UPPER, I told him....Next time, go in and tell the dude you started your period.....See if he one ups ya on that~

Angel

Anonymous said...

I've had too many of them in my life...and as Ken said you have to just become immune to them. Shut them down and out, your life is indeed so much better for it. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Ah geesh, do I know what you are talking about here.  Consider this, I've been in construction for 20 plus years....yep...most of the men have been there, done that & done it better, bigger & more expensively!!  I've come to avoid them like the plague.  Now at least I have a name for them that doesn't involve various parts of the human anatomy.  LOL
Lisa