Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dance like there's no tomorrow

 

I've gotten some feedback about the video I posted today, and I've also checked the guy's website and read that it's not an unusual reaction to weep copiously while watching the video! It's NOT just me!

Here's the YouTube link, and be sure to click on the "watch in high quality" button. It's even better!

Lori over at Dusty Pages wondered WHY it evokes such a strong emotional reaction, and Mark at Stars Like Grains of Sand in my Pocket also told me that he really loved this video.

I don't know if I can put it into words, but I'll try.

It is simply one of the silliest, goofiest, funniest things I've seen. Our friend Matt in the video can't dance worth crap, but his exuberance and sheer enthusiasm more than make up for that. I think all of us will agree that you don't have to be the best dancer on the floor in order to have a good time, or to get people moving and dancing along with you! Enthusiasm counts for a lot, and Matt has plenty of that.

But how does a goofy dance go beyond funny, and become so profound and touching, and so transcendent that it becomes an emotional experience for everyone who views it? I can't begin to explain it, but I know that even as I write about it, there are tears in my eyes.

Ken's opinion was that subconsciously, we realize that Matt's joy of life draws people out...draws them out to be a part of his (Matt's) and our experience. I agree, and you can see what a great time the guy is having as he dances his goofy dance with people all over the world! The kids are obviously having one heckuva time, and they are silly and goofy right along with Matt.

I also think that there are a couple of other things that are incredibly moving and touching. Just take a look at the beautiful scenes and structures that this guy visited, and think about all the gorgeous things that we have in our world! These are things that we need to preserve, whether it's the Mayan temples in Mexico or the beaches in Australia, or Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower, the U.S. Capitol building or the Fiji coast! This simple video illustrates just how precious our planet is and what amazing things we have, whether natural or manmade.

The bigger thing, at least to me, was seeing every kind of person, every nationality, every race and religion and color and creed....

...all of these people getting together and doing this utterly and completely silly dance, adults and children alike dancing like there's no tomorrow. The sheer JOY of every person dancing, the kids in the Philippines and the kids in various African countries, all over the world, all doing the same dance. All connecting, all together, all doing their own thing and dancing along with Matt.

It tells me that we are all a part of the same big world, we are all here together, and no matter our differences, we all want the same thing: a peaceful and happy planet. Am I reading too much into this video? I don't know...but I dare you to watch it and not be even a tiny bit moved.   

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is the variety of people and their unbridled joy that is the key, I noticed the places, but focused more on the people than on the background :o)

Anonymous said...

I watched that video a couple times today. I can't explain it but it gives you such a sense of peace when you watch it. Thanks for putting it up and sharing it with us hon. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I checked out his web site. I think it is really neat. The things people come up with. I havent seen the video yet but I will take time to watch it tomorrow. Thank you for sharing....hugs, Christine

Anonymous said...

I loved the video.
Missie

Anonymous said...

... each viewing I get something new and profoundly joyful from that video ... the DMZ shot was HILARIOUS ... because I have been there, and it is quite the joyless spot ...

... I have been to few of the other places he has been ... and it made me feel sad that I missed out on the experience that he had and was able to share ... Ken is really on to something when he says it is his joy of life that makes people want to share and join in with him ...

... that is something that I think I have ... a passion and an exuberance that draws people in ... but Matt, at least doing his dance, HAS it in spades ...

... I am sooo glad you shared this with us ..!

Anonymous said...

It's a great video, well put together and the fact that he has random people in it from each different country goes to show he didn't just create this on his computer :o)  I can see why it would provoke emotion

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

I think you've pretty well described what it is that effects us.  I like it and have enjoyed sending the video link to all my friends and family.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Yes, I couldn't have put it into better words... there is a wonderful feeling in that beautiful video!!!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

love and hugs
natalie