Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Delivery Man

Looks like "early afternoon" translates to about 2:15-2:30 PM. Works for me!

I would take a picture of our new table and chairs, but since they require assembly, all you'd get right now is a picture of boxes! We hope to work on it this weekend.

While I was excited to get them, I found myself thinking, "I'm not formally trained in CPR. Could I do it if I had to?" The answer is that I would certainly try. The delivery guy looked like he was made up of about three of me, and he seemed to be having a really hard time in this weather. As he was bringing the stuff into the garage, he was really breathing heavily, and I was seriously starting to wonder if he was gonna have a thrombo (as Austin Powers would say). He got everything in the garage, and I closed the door. A couple of minutes later, he came back up to the door and knocked. He asked if he could use our restroom. I'm not real fond of letting strangers into our house, especially when I'm here by myself, but the guy really seemed to be having a hard time, so I said, "Sure, come on in." (I should have offered him a glass of water as I look back on it, but I can't imagine he wouldn't have a water bottle with him in the truck on a day like this.)

Now here's where I surprised myself. While he was in the bathroom, I went and got my gun out of the nightstand and put it on top, within easy reach. I realize how paranoid that seems, but letting him in our house goes against everything I've learned over the years about self-protection. My feeling is that if you're going to come after me with 300+ pounds, I'm gonna need a bit of an equalizer.

Was that terrible of me? I hate to feel so distrustful, but I've always been a fanatic about self-preservation.

Well, everything was fine, of course, and he went on his way. Not merrily, by any means. He was NOT having a good time. And you know what? He didn't look that old. Maybe late twenties, early thirties? But he was chuggin' like a freight train. After he left, I was moving some of the boxes out of the walkway in the garage, and the boxes that contain the chairs say they weigh 21 kilograms. That converts to about 46 pounds, and I was able to lift them with one hand. Why was this poor fellow struggling with them so much? That's just sad. I hope he makes some changes, because he looked like a walking heart attack to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, not "that" paranoid.  But in the future, I would bring it out into the kitchen or living room, you do not want to trap yourself in the back of the house, and certainly not in the bedroom.

Anonymous said...

He probably won't be around long unless he does make some changes.  No, I don't think you're being paranoid, rather say careful and prepared.  I would have done the same thing.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Americans and their guns scare the hell out of me.

Anonymous said...

I might have let him in too, and then been ready like you, although we don't have a gun !! I might have gotten a heavy object close by !
Cant wait to see the table , hurry up ! LOL

Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

i am scared of guns because no one has taught me anything about them....but i understand your concern.....now i wonder if Windy the Delivery Man will collapse soon? HUGS

Anonymous said...

oooo er I hope the guys alright ~ doesn't sound good from what you say.  I completely agree with what you say about not letting people in that you don't know.

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife