Friday, July 11, 2008

Tonight's attire

First off, congratulations to the wonderful Sherry of Sherry's Weightloss Journey for being Magic Smoke's Guest Editor this week, and a big thanks to Sherry for including me in her picks! She cracked me up--she mentioned my passion for politics and how I try to straighten out the media. Ha ha! It made my day, Hon, and I thank you very much. She included Ken, too, but I'll leave it to him to say his own thank yous. Hey, we're the tag team of J-Land! Ha!

Well, for the game tonight, I have decided to wear my camouflage capris. It's quite toasty outside, but I know how I am, and at some point, we'll be in the shade. If I wear shorts, I'll end up chilled. (Famous last words--I'll probably end up with heat exhaustion!) Since I'm wearing camo tonight, you know what that means, don't you? That's right...tonight I am invisible! Woohoo! Boy, I can get up to some hijinx tonight! (Although if "Bull Durham" and "Major League" are any indication, I'd do best to steer clear of the locker room.)

In fact, that's a picture of me WEARING my camo capris, but you can't see me...because I'm invisible! (It's a picture from the waist down.) I'll take my camera tonight, but I don't think you'll be seeing any pictures of me due to the whole invisibility thing. I'm looking forward to freaking people out as they see my cup of beer floating in midair...ooooo! And if a foul ball comes my way, watch as it stops in midair, almost as if caught by...a HUMAN HAND! Ooooo!

Perhaps Ken will get a picture of my sandals with my invisible feet in them.

I talked to Mom today. She tweaked her back, but she said that it's doing better. We talked about how it's amazing how just the simplest movement can result in a pulled muscle or back pain. I asked if I could come down and do a load of laundry for her or something, but she was doing laundry when I called! Sounds like she'll be okay.

We talked some politics, and that was fun. I never would have thought in all my born days that I'd be talking politics with my Mom! We also talked about money-saving tips, and believe me, my Mom is incredibly good at saving money. Both of us believe that the single best thing any of us can do is to cook more at home. She gets stuff on sale, and her and Dad can make a couple of meals out of it, and their meals will be a couple of dollars, tops. Last night, I made a skillet dinner with two big chicken breasts, veggies, and stuffing mix, and it was so much that Ken and I agreed it would be enough for another meal! I would estimate the meals we get out of it at less than two dollars each. It can really make a difference.

One thing that I practiced this morning was something I read about some time ago, and something that UPS is having its drivers do: plan your route so that you make mostly right turns. Sounds crazy, but think about it! How long do you spend idling at a left turn signal? It's a fairly short wait in our small city, but it can add up. When I ran my errands this morning, I only had to make one left turn at a light--everything else was right turns, or left turns at four way stops. I know it sounds silly, but UPS has implemented this kind of route planning with their drivers. Considering gas prices, I think every little bit helps. Give it a try!

Oh SWEET! I just went down to the basement to pull out a roast for this weekend--I want to do Italian Beef sandwiches in the crockpot. I wanted an arm roast but couldn't find one, so chuck roast it is. As I was looking, I found some Porterhouse steaks! I thought we'd gone through most of the steaks, but we still have some! I also found out where the sirloin steaks are. Hmm, I might have to have Ken stop by the store tomorrow (he has an early meeting) and get us a couple of potatoes to bake.

Jeez, I'm hungry. I'm thinking about those Philly cheesesteaks at the ball park....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats right! We are splurging and eating out tonight.  I am treating my bride to baseball food and beer :o)

Anonymous said...

I like those pants. One of my lady friends has a similar pair and they look nice on her. Have fun tonight.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

When you're invisible mind that someone doesn't walk through you.  The might if they can't see you.  It can be very intrusive.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a good time at the game.
Missie

Anonymous said...

congrats on being a guest editor's pick!!

my hubby and me have also decided it is a lot cheaper to cook at home (especially now since our 19 y/o is no longer living at home); we can usually get 2 meals out of something we cook on one day; we usually do like to still go out on Fridays though (date night)

hope you enjoyed your evening!

betty

Anonymous said...

I see you got a pedicure !! Very cute

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being an Editor's pick this week hon. I'm loving the capri's! Which is strange in itself because being short they all tend to come right above my ankle instead of where they should go. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

You need to start up a recipe journal. I hope your moms back is better....i really really want and need to start cooking on Sundays for the whole week. Each day in Ohio i see basics being raised to such high prices.....i can not talk to my mom about politics. She is insane..and Republican. XO

Anonymous said...

Good morning , Beth!  Congrats on being picked as Guest Ediitor.  You both
are very deserving of that honor.  As a matter of fact,  I was about to suggest
that you submit some of your work to a newspaper.  I think you would make
an excellent columnist.  Selfishly, however,  I might not get that paper and
you might devote yourself to it so much that we here in J-Land would miss out
on your wit and wisdom.  It's a thought, though, isn't it.  Pat

Anonymous said...

LOL you and your steaks ;)  Well done for being a guest editors pick x  If your mum's good at money saving tips perhaps she could help me lol........LOL @ your invisibility ;)  Hope you made good use of it xx

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

... the tip about the left turn is one that I used to use when I was driving ... LOL @ invisible in you cammy capris ..!

Anonymous said...

I agree that making more meals at home is a big saver, especially if you can cook out on the grill and use less electricity.  But I use my oven a lot!  I saw the UPS/left turn only thing on a news program a while back, and I have a nephew who drives for UPS.  Apparently it really does make a difference in gas use.  I'll have to be conscious of that and see if I can make it work for me.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being a Guest Editor's pick!  Interesting thing about the right turn thing with UPS.  Makes sense though.

Dirk