Friday, July 18, 2008

On the catwalk....

How about a nice, bright, summery daisy?
 
And here's the same picture with a colored pencil effect:
I think that's kind of pretty. The yellow center really seems to pop out, and if you look closely, there's a teeny little bug right in the center!
I finished my Greek and Latin roots book, and I'll move on soon to a medical terminology workbook. (Learning the roots applies to many everyday words, though, not just medical.) No one has correctly guessed the word from the other day, which combines the Greek philos, which means "love," and logos, which means "word." Ken guessed the meaning, and what I am, a lover of words, but remember we're combining philos + logos. What's the word? And no, it's not surfin' bird! Ha!
I took the afternoon to catch up on the latest issue of Time, and in the "10 Questions" they featured Tim Gunn, who is apparently a fashion designer and is working with "Project Runway." I don't watch that show, but one thing he said just cracked me up. He said that one of the worst fashion trends he's seen lately has been Crocs. (No offence to anyone who has them and likes them--this is the guy talking, not me!) He said, "It looks like a plastic hoof. How can you take that seriously?" HA! I've never wanted to own a pair, because at just under five feet tall, my feet are surprisingly big--I usually wear a size 6½-7--so I don't need to be wearing any shoes that make my feet look even bigger! A plastic hoof! <snort>
Speaking of runways....
"I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little tush on the catwalk
And I'm too sexy for this song!"
One hit wonder! Right Said Fred--and the song still makes me laugh. I just got off the phone with a guy from our gas company. They're doing some recent advertisements with customer testimonials, and a couple of years ago, I'd sent them an email saying how happy I was with their service on our furnace. He said that they already featured my comments in their interoffice newsletter back then, but now they're running these ads all over northern Indiana and trying to get people from various locations, so if I'd be interested, they would like to use my story. I would do a phone interview with the company that is doing the ads, and get this--they would even want to do a photo shoot! HA HA! Either of just me, or me and Ken (I'd prefer the latter), and he said it would probably take about an hour, but he'll email me the information and we can look it over and go from there. I'm open to that--they really did do a great job, and the service guy was wonderful--so I'll keep you posted. Isn't that a hoot?
He mentioned that positive feedback is always appreciated by the workers and technicians, and I said, "Believe me, I know!" That's why, whenever I think that someone has done particularly well, or been especially helpful and pleasant, I always try to note their name and send the company an email about what a great job they did. I know that there were a couple of times at the lab that doctors sent emails praising our department, and once or twice, singling out me and a few other coworkers, and it always made my day. It's not so much the recognition...it's just that they realized that we were doing our best and trying to work with them and be as helpful as possible. So whenever I have that opportunity, I try to do the same. It can really make a difference in a person's day!
And if I hit it big with this modeling career opportunity (hee hee!), I promise not to go all Naomi Campbell on you and start whacking people with my cell phone. Throwing kisses, not phones! Mwah! Mwah!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own a couple pair of crocs in all styles and colors.  I don't care if some snotty person on the runway thinks they're not sylish.  For not being sylish, a lot of us are wearing them.  I hated them too until I tried a pair on.  My feet felt like they were in heaven.  I've been addicted since! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

Shoot-out here in the sticks we know nothing of crocs unless it be the ones with the big teeth,LOL
Hugs
connie

Anonymous said...

No hooves here :o)

It will be fun to do the advertising, the whole "pay-it-forward" and "Karma" philosophy rears its true and moralistic head :o)

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like fun.  Will they pay you for your time??  It would be even more fun if they did!
I do like that colored pencil effect.  The little bug really stands out in that one.
And I still say you are a philologist!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I am with you Missie. I love my Crocs and they are the only shoes I ever wear (unless there is a big snowstorm). My feet love them, I love them. They are comfortable, my feet can breathe so what more could I ask for. They can call them plastic hoofs and I have even heard them called clown shoes. No matter to me. They are my shoe of choice and I would never give them up for anything.

Good luck with the ad. Perhaps another career you did not anticipate --- "I would like to thank the academy and all the little people who knew me when."

Anonymous said...

Hey, I own a pair of crocs. My wife bought them for me and I do think I look a bit foolish, but who's gonna dare tell me?

I love Tim Gunn and Project Runway btw - you don't know what you're missing!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Wow, famous thru the gas company....may i have your autograph?!
I think Crocs are so ugly and everyone wears them....at my job they wear them to STOCK in and they wear socks with them and you can see the socks thru the holes and i always think of someone's strange uncle Joe who wore the black beach shoes with white tube socks with them that you always made fun of.
XO

Anonymous said...

I love th flower...love, Christine

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about Crocs lol...........I've never wanted a pair either lol.  Love the piccy of the flower :)  I have no idea what that word is that your looking for lol

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife