Friday, July 4, 2008

The Mystery of the Blue Feathers

Ken and I continued the blue feather research today (I'm not one to back down from a challenge!), and based on further articles that I found, he made an excellent Science Scene entry on the subject over at Bucko. I also left a comment concerning our "experiment" this morning, so you can read our results in his comment section. This has actually been educational for me--I knew that the blue appearance was due to some kind of refraction, but had no idea of just how complicated it was. Lori, as for your comment about this being a good science lesson for your daughter, I agree! I learned something in checking into all of this! If you want to find several articles about it, just Google "blue feather pigment," and you'll get plenty of information.

I just love learning new stuff!

Hope everyone is having a great day so far! I know some of you are getting rain, and I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that things clear up for you soon. I don't think we could have asked for a more perfect day here. Sunny and high 70's. I'm taking a jacket, though, because I think it will cool off once the sun goes down. We'll be heading out in under an hour. Ken is out getting the lawn mowed, and I've got the beans baking. I just need to change clothes, and I'm good to go. (Considering my tendency towards splashing something on me, I thought it was best to not wear what I'm wearing tonight as I mixed together the beans and stuff.) I even put on some makeup! *gasp* I have to say, one of the best things about retirement is not putting on makeup every morning. (Ken hasn't complained so far...but then he IS a smart man. Ha ha!) I also find that since I rarely wear it anymore, I use less when I do. I feel like I've got it caked on if I apply too much. I stopped wearing mascara years ago, because my eyelashes were breaking off. I'd rather have puny lashes than none at all!

Enough girly talk. I need to change the batteries in my camera, and make sure I know how to use the fireworks setting. See you later tonight!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are beautiful just the way you are :o)
[Brilliant Man!] <LOL>

Anonymous said...

boy it's a good thing i visited your journal, cuz i almost missed my quota of learning new things for the day, grins, debra

Anonymous said...

Hope you have enjoyed your night and didn't spill any of the beans down you ;)  

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

... I am going to try to 'catch up' ... don't know if I can, but I will try ... 'the mystery of the blue feathers' sounds like either a 'Thin Man' movie or a 'Wu-Tang Clan' album title ..!