Friday, July 25, 2008

Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

 
"It is all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back."
 
                                                                        ~~Mick Jagger
 
 
Here's wishing a very happy birthday to Sir Michael Jagger, who was knighted by Prince Charles on December 12, 2003.
 
While his knighthood has nothing to do with his music, I find it amusing and fun that the bad boy of rock and roll is an official Knight of the British Empire!
 
I love Mick, and always have. The old question of "Beatles or Stones" was never in doubt for me, and the Stones have always been my favorite. I love the Beatles, make no mistake about it, but I find the Stones' music deeper, darker, and more complex.
 
While Mick might have a reputation as a stupid rock star, that couldn't be further from the truth. Although he dropped out of university to pursue a career in music, he originally studied accounting and finance. He must have picked up some business savvy during his university days, because he's one of the smartest businessmen in the rock world. In interviews, he shows himself to be witty, intelligent, and articulate...and quite a charmer.
 
Legend has it that Mick was attending a party at the Playboy mansion. After a night of revelry (we really don't need to know the details!), he went to get his coat from the coat check service. As he stood there waiting for his coat, he looked into the coat check area and saw one of his fellow guests from the party, Dennis Weaver. Dennis was talking with Hugh Hefner, and as Mick watched, he saw their conversation break out into an argument. All of a sudden, Hugh Hefner starts beating the crap out of Dennis Weaver--he's just wailin' on him!
 
Mick was appalled to see this, and as the fight got uglier, he shouted, "Hey! Hugh! Get off of McCloud!"
 
Hee heeeee!
 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey...do I love me some Rolling Stones!  Mother's Little Helper...Sympathy For The Devil...man...they just dont make music like that anymore.
Connie

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA..........good one.
I also answered that  old question with the STONES ! I've seen them perform a few times, once in Shea Stadium (home of the NY METS) ...great ,great , great show.
LOVE THEM !

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my journal. I thought I'd repay the compliment.
I like the early Stones and the Beatles. I think the Beatles were probably the best writers but the Stones win hands down as rockers and performers.
(Not gonna mention the groaner of a joke).  ;O)

Barry.

Anonymous said...

The fact at his age he's still rocking hard says it all...They don't come close to anything like the Stones these days. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Nope, not any funnier seeing it in print than hearing it out loud :o)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mick. Who would have thought the Stones would still be around as senior citizens. I saw them in concert about a year and a half ago. It was the absolute thrill of a lifetime. Worth every single dime. They put on a good show, and those guys are in excellent shape. Did anyone see the IMAX film made by Scorsese called "Shine a Light". Better than front row seats at a Stones concert. Wow. I have also thought that Sir MIck went to the London School of Economics and that is not a place for slackards and slouches. This guy is smart and a very astute businessman. I hope he is around forever.

Anonymous said...

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" is one of my all time classics. I bet Jagger could write one HELL of a book if he spilled names, huh?
XO